Seminars & Workshops
My role as lecturer, seminar or workshop leader is to bring transformative learning into communities of practice so that people can see and solve systemic problems, beyond individual or technical solutions. My goal is to help those in churches, schools, and other values-driven organizations become effective learners and teachers in their own organizations. All of the seminar and workshop topics below can be adapted for various audiences and occasions.
- Becoming Fearless in the Face of Uncertainty
- Diversity, Inclusion and Excellence: Transforming privilege, bias and trauma
- Educators Preventing Abuse
- Faculty Dialogues Towards Multicultural Teaching and Learning: From Knowledge to Action
- Healing the Sexually Abused Heart: A Workshop for Survivors, Thrivers, and Supporters
- Learn to Meditate
- Males and Trauma
- Protecting your Kids in the 21st Century
- Protecting All God’s Children
- Recovery, Discovery, Healing
- School Employee Child Abuse Reporting
- Spiritual Resources and Roadblocks for Adult Survivors of Childhood Religious Authority Sexual Abuse: A Workshop for Therapists
- The School to Prison Pipeline for K-12 Males of Color
How will we work together?
There's a story about three children who were left with an inheritance of 17 barnyard animals. The stipulations of the inheritance were that the eldest sibling would receive half, the middle child would receive one third, and the youngest would receive one ninth of the animals. They thought, struggled, argued and prayed. They did everything they knew to resolve an unresolvable situation. And the elder from the town noticed them disputing and joined them.
“What seems to be the problem?” The elder asked. The siblings explained that they had tried different ideas that would not satisfy each person; timesharing, selling the animals and dividing the money, even literally cutting up some of the animals to divide them equally... They were stuck. As the elder asked more questions, their barnyard animal joined with the children's 17 animals.
“So let me get this straight. You are supposed to get one half.” And they counted out nine animals. “You are supposed to receive one third.” They counted out six animals. “And you are supposed to receive one ninth.” They counted out two animals.
While the story may seem folksy and oversimplified, I offer my expertise in questioning and examining the problem in the context in which you work, and then come up with real solutions that will leave you individually and as a group with different skills that were not accessible before.
I provide a supportive, non-judgmental context in which I may engage individuals or teams in self-assessment of what has brought them to this point, and a process of unblocking what keeps them from building a life full of meaning and modeling an intentional life.
I will work with you, given your needs and context, to develop the individual and groups skills necessary for your organizational coherence, intentionality, and health.